[Olpc-open] Healthcare - Potential Opportunity

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Tue Dec 18 00:43:40 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Alan Andryc <andrycaa at gmail.com> wrote:

No relation to Nobel Prize-winning author Ivo, I suppose? I loved The
Bridge on the Drina, Na Drini ćuprija, На Дрини ћуприја.

> Hello, I'm new to this venue but am looking to contribute and/or determine
> if I might have some material that would benefit the community.

Welcome. I am certain that you can. You should also talk to our Sugar
mailing list, It's-An-Education-Project, since Sugar Labs deals with
educational software and content for OLPC XOs and other computers
running Sugar education software. I am copying this message there.

>  I work for
> a healthcare company that specializes in vision and was wondering if there
> was any need for material on healthy vision or perhaps an interactive eye
> model to teach children about the different parts of the eye.  It could be
> anything in this realm really - the sky is the limit.

Very important material. Some of our students may have vision problems
that are probably out of the ordinary line of your company's work,
such as river blindness and nutritional deficiencies that one does not
see in the US. Whether or not you have information on those topics, we
know that even the most basic care can save multitudes of infants and
children from blindness or severely impaired vision. Adults and the
elderly, too.

The structure of the eye is quite wonderful material, whether
approached from the model of a pinhole camera, or at any level up
through the rods and cones in the retina, the molecular biology,
mathematics, and Computer Science of color vision, the neurology, the
other components of the eye, and the variety of possible diseases.

You could do learning materials or models in software, in what we call
a Sugar activity.

http://activities.sugarlabs.org//en-US/sugar/

I and many others can help you get started. We have a book on the
subject, Make Your Own Sugar Activities.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/

There are other options. This book covers development in Python, but
you might also consider Etoys. I am helping to write two manuals for
Etoys, an introductory manual and a reference manual.

You can also contribute content, for example in the Replacing
Textbooks program that I run. Our test server is at

http://booki.treehouse.su/

We are getting ready to install the production version of Booktype,
which will replace booki (book/wiki) for writing textbooks.

> My company is constantly looking for ways to give back and if there was some
> interest in this I'd look to build a more robust case and inquire more
> deeply into whether the company would be willing to put some resources
> behind this.

That would be wonderful.

> Is there anyone on this distribution list that would be able to point me in
> the right direction?

Yes, indeed. We will be happy to answer any further questions.

> --
> AAA

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin