[Olpc-open] OLPC Photos on DVD...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Jun 9 23:01:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> [...]

I got a couple of queries about bit torrent, so here's what I wrote
back to those queries. Hope it will help others.

===
Bit torrent is usually a faster way to get files across. A list of
programs are available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BitTorrent_clients  How Bit
torrent works: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bittorrent.htm

On Windows, I'd suggest http://www.bittorrent.com/btusers/download/?

After you install the client, click on the link
(http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4942728/olpc-dvd-project.iso.4942728.TPB.torrent)
and the download should begin.

You can always get the file the "old-fashioned" way by going to
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/files/olpc-dvd-project.iso but it will take
longer.

md5sum is a way to check the digital signature of the file you
download. If the file you downloaded is corrupt or incomplete, the
signature won't match. More on md5sum at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum On Windows, you'll need something
like http://www.md5summer.org/ The md5sum of the downloaded file
should be 5ac2764b021578307834728030b5b77a This last part (md5sum) is
a good way to check for the integrity of the file. Files downloaded
via bit torrent are automatically checked for such integrity. Files
downloaded via the browser may require such testing.

Hope this helps.
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.