[Olpc-open] direct play youtube with mplayer

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Fri Jan 30 18:09:08 EST 2009

For the Youtube API web browser plugin as well as for the Youtube Mp4 API
Activity, it would I guess also be very useful for low bandwidth areas that
those would use the school server as a video storage cache server, thus the
Youtube Mp4 file would be downbloaded to and cached on the school server and
streamed from there instead of allowing each student to download all these
Mp4 files directly from Youtube. In case of the student being on limited or
expensive bandwidth areas, caching youtube mp4 video downloads on the local
loop school server could save them lots of download bandwidth. In case of
unavailable download bandwidth, the school server could ping the XO that the
specific video is being put in queue to download to the school server,
perhaps overnight when bandwidth is cheaper. And it could refer to launching
the outube acvitity which could list all of the available cached Youtube
videos and show the queue for downloads eventually expected time for
delivery. The teacher or school server admin could as well manage all that.
As well as pluging a USB flash drive or a hard drive to the school server,
that could be a way to add tens and tens of GB of Youtube mp4 files based on
lists of educational and child-friendly Youtube videos.
Also, the icons displayed instead of trying to playback the embedded Youtube
flash videos could be "Download and Play" as well as "Play only" where the
mp4 file is deleted automatically when finished playing, thus not to use up
any space in the journal.

--
Charbax,
Nicolas Charbonnier