[Olpc-open] Women in Open Source projects article

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 03:39:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Seth Woodworth <seth at laptop.org> wrote:
> Speaking of women in Open Source; OLPC alumni Mary-Lou Jepson was recently a
> keynote speaker at the Grace Hopper Conference on women in technology.  I've
> heard that there is a professional video of the event, but I haven't seen it
> online.

I prodded one of the professional societies to do a piece on her for a
Women in Computing publication. I must dig up my references and see
whether that is publicly available.

> She also had a really cool interview mid-summer that I haven't really seen
> anyone talk about yet:
>
> http://www.bigthink.com/business-economics/11935
>
> --Seth
>

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Brian Jordan <brian at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> Free Software Magazine has published an article about the gender gap
>> in open source software development vs. commercial software
>> development and some things that projects can do to be more inviting
>> to female contributors.
>>

>> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/ten_easy_ways_attract_women_your_free_software_project
>>
>> (found via Rwanda LUG:
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rwanda-lug/web/women-in-open-source-projects
>> ... thanks Robert)
>>
>> Some of article's points:
>> • Use forums instead of mailing lists
>> • When possible, wikis instead of version control archives
>> • When possible, high level languages
>> • Replace pecking-orders with affirmation processes (thank you's)
>> • Don't undervalue documentation, marketing, graphics
>> • Create a formal mentoring / induction process
>> • Make the existing women in your project visible

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children