[Olpc-open] Give a Laptop, Change the World : G1G1 2008

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:15:43 EDT 2008

You may need to have someone correct the laptop.org specs page:
-   http://laptop.org/en/laptop/software/specs.shtml

> We will support five programming environments on the laptop:
> (1) Python, from which we have built our user interface and our
> activity model; (2) Javascript for browser-based scripting;
> (3) Csound, a programmable music and audio environment;
> (4) Squeak, a version of Smalltalk embedded into a media-rich
> authoring environment; and (5) Logo. We will also provide
> some support for Java and Flash.

"Flash" in this context is a registered trademark belonging to Adobe:
-  http://www.adobe.com/misc/pdfs/flash_3rd_party_trademark_guidelines_020708.pdf

If the "support" OLPC is offering for Flash-type content refers to
Gnash, this could be considered a trademark violation (as well as
simply being misleading.)
If by "support" OLPC means that Flash can be installed on the XO, I
must point out that Adobe specifically disclaims support for Flash
under Linux on boxen with the XO's specs.
-   http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

This puts OLPC in the position of unilaterally offering to support a
proprietary software offering of another company, something I'm pretty
sure OLPC isn't intending to imply in this circumstance.

Please have this page clarified.