[Olpc-open] Re dual boot XO: Olpc-open Digest, Vol 23, Issue 18

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:16:35 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
<znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:
> Will an XO boot from a USB stick? SD cards of reasonable size are quite
> expensive relative to similar-sized USB sticks, and I'm looking to build
> a bootable Linux USB stick for other machines.

Open Firmware will recognise a USB stick as boot time, and will hane
thread of control over to the software on it. In this sense, it treats
a fulesystem on USB the same as a filesystem on SD, with the exception
of boot order.

Bootable USB is possible on the XO. Whether it works on other machines
is largely dependent on the boot stack (BIOS, Open Firmware, etc) for
that particular machine.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com