[Olpc-open] This Saturday : TextbookRevolution barnraising in Cambridge, MA

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Wed May 14 17:48:18 EDT 2008

Dear all,

Help us <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jams/TextbookRevolutionJam> raise the new
TextbookRevolution <http://www.textbookrevolution.org> wiki!

We need your help to raise the walls on the new site and to get it ready for
the public for its May 24th launch.  We are having a barnraising for the new
wiki (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jams/TextbookRevolutionJam) on Saturday, May
17th from 12 to 4 EST.  We will also be meeting in person at 1 Cambridge
Center (OLPC hq -- come at 11:30 if you'd like to join us for lunch) as well
as on IRC on #textbookrevolution on irc.freenode.net . We will be putting
together the components, pages, and design needed to relaunch a new
MediaWiki-based, community-oriented TextbookRevolution.org site.

TextbookRevolution is dedicated to facilitating existing free textbook
projects by sharing metadata, using distributed annotation/review tools, and
opening broader conversations among authors, artists, reviewers, students,
and other educators.

This is a step forward for the world of free textbooks, and we need the help
of:

  * Data entry construction workers to build the site up!
  * Artists and designers willing to help make our templates and pages look
great!
  * Wiki and IRC friends to help communicate about the project so we don't
leave friendly communities out of the conversation
  * A multilingual community to help localize the project so we can make
this a worldwide effort!
  * Masters of Ontology to help us make sure our semantic metadata is well
formed!
  * Systems Administrators to make sure our server continues to hum speedily
along!
  * Comedians and jokers to help keep things lively!

Please pass this on to others who may be interested, or just link to our
wiki page and facebook event:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jams/TextbookRevolutionJam
  http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php&eid=17696355094

Some of us will be attending the Boston Bar Camp later Saturday eveningand
will hold a session there on the new wiki and how to contribute (
barcampboston.org).

Feel free to drop either of us a line if you have questions.

--SJ Klein and Josh Gay
sj at laptop.org | joshuagay at gmail.com