[Olpc-open] The rest of the puzzle

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue May 13 13:00:00 EDT 2008

OLPC has done an excellent job on the XO hardware and software, but
has made it clear from the beginning that it will not work on the
other requirements for the project to succeed. The principal issues
are

* Internet access in remote villages
* Electricity in remote villages
* Connectivity in dense forest and mountainous terrain
* Content in local languages
* Education research
* Economic research
* Political coordination
* Collaboration between schools
* Funding

Perú is a good example of the problem, where the legislature has
appropriated the funds to buy XOs, but not to install power or
Internet access in remote village schools. It may be that some kind of
microfinance would be appropriate, if we can put together the business
model that says how the loans can be paid back through increases in
local economic activity. We would certainly need to think about
hardware designs for local manufacturing, wherever possible, and other
ways of saving costs and transferring technology.

It is necessary that someone work on these issues, and that the work
be coordinated in some practical manner. As far as I know, nothing
prevents the volunteer community at OLPC from taking up all of these
issues on the Wiki and the mailing lists, and creating an
all-volunteer organization to invite others in as partners. Or
Sugarlabs could take up these issues. We have initiated conversations
with Engineers Without Borders, the Free Information community, and
others, and we have a good idea where to look for the others.

What do you think, Sirs?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/