[Olpc-open] XO laptops and video

Curtis Griesel cwgriesel at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:04:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com> wrote:

And, (not meaning to start a software freedom discussion here) in the end a
> web site using proprietary plugins will work correctly only on the equipment
> that web site chooses to support, meaning I (my kids) will always be
> unsupported beggars unless we upgrade to meet their demands. And upgrade
> again when the next version of Flash is released.....
> I'm interested in the XO because I want them to have to at least have
> another choice.

Since I work in a school district that uses Macintosh computers for
instruction, I'm sensitive to the issue of web sites that require
proprietary plugins.  But it is not clear to me what support beyond Flash
and Opera would be needed to view most websites.   True, there are sites
around that require Internet Explorer and its ActiveX features.  But in the
education domain those type of sites are very rare.  We get along just fine
without those sites -- there are plenty of alternative sites around that are
usable by Macintosh computers.  Can't an XO with Flash and Opera view just
as many sites as a Macintosh computer can?

Curtis Griesel
Hopkins Public Schools
Hopkins, Minnesota