[Olpc-open] Social Sector B-School

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 15:04:47 EST 2008

> Sub: Proposal for Setting up an integrated Humanitarian Village
> as a Social Enterprise

This is excellent. I am copying my reply to a number of people who are
interested in making these things happen. I can only list some of the
initiatives that they are involved with, but they can comment further
on anything they know about that matches up with your intentions.

Please pass this information on to those interested in your plans, and
let us get together on the appropriate mailing lists and such.

> I am looking for Venture Philanthropists, Angel Donors and
> Business Partners to set up an integrated Humanitarian Village
> with (i) a "Social Sector Business School",

Presidio School of Management offers a Sustainable MBA. Earth Treasury
wants to teach students how to connect around the world and create
sustainable international businesses together.  Tell us more about
your idea.

Creating a suitable business curriculum is a major issue. Some of us
are thinking about adapting the classic Lemonade Stand game from the
original Commodore PET computer (1977) to teaching business concepts
in the first grade of school, and working up from there in an
age-appropriate manner.

>(ii) Skill Training Center
> for Livelihood for the school drop outs and the disabled and

One Laptop Per Child is interested in addressing all of these issues
through education and communication. We have heard that in some
locations the introduction of OLPC XO computers has resulted in a
sharp rise in school attendance. We are working on accessibility
technologies on the XO to make it as usable as possible by the blind
and visually impaired (text-to-speech) and the physically impaired
(typing one-handed, by mouth stick, by voice control).

Fantsuam Foundation runs a computer school in Nigeria, and also
teaches eco-friendly farming techniques, crafts, and other ways of
making a living.

Catch IT Young, a partner NGO of OneVillage Foundation, offers
computer and communication training to young people in Ghana.

>(ii) a
> "Home for Senior Citizens". The Humanitarian Village is proposed
> to be a self-sustaining, eco-friendly and revenue generating enterprise

OneVillage Foundation has a design process for sustainable, ecological
Open Digital Villages that meet local requirements.

> The first Humanitarian Village is proposed to be set up closer to
> a metro city in India. It is envisaged that similar Humanitarian
> Villages will be developed in partnership with individual investors
> and business houses in different parts of the country.
>
> The proposed Humanitarian Village will be run as self
> sustaining revenue generating business enterprise with a
> social mission. It is a long term investment opportunity
> with a mission to change life. I am open to discuss
> ownership/holding stake and other modalities.
>
> I am writing to you seeking help and guidance on the following:
> (i) Would you be personally interested to invest in this proposal? Let's dialogue

I would be interested in helping you to raise money.

> (ii) Please put me in touch with people who would be interested in this venture

Done.

> (iii) Any suggestion/feedback or link to similar initiatives anywhere in India/abroad

Some of the people receiving this e-mail will explain their parts.

> I am open to dialogue further and examine possible
> partnership for investment opportunity.
>
> On request, I can send a copy of the presentation on
> the project and a note on my background.

Please send it separately to me, and to anyone who requests it.

> I wish to hear from you
>
> Dr. Swapan Garain, Senior Fellow (Johns Hopkins), PhD
> Social Entrepreneur & Professor
> - Member, PAC, Dept of Science & Technology, Government of India
> - Member, Steering Committee on Voluntary Sector (10th & 11th Five Year Plan) , Planning Commission, Govt of India
> - Former Professor and Center Chair for DOCC/CSR at S P Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai, India
> Voice 9869031929
> Email : Garain.India at yahoo.com

India has turned down the One Laptop Per Child XO laptop, and launched
its own $10 laptop project. Nevertheless, trials of XOs in India
continue.
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/