[Olpc-open] olpc status of Kenya

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:37:19 EDT 2008

Tim Mercer wrote:
> Forgive me, I'm new to this, I've looked through the FAQs but can't find
> the answer I'm looking for.  I'm trying to deliver an IT workshop to
> around 60 teenagers in Kisumu, Kenya in August.
>
> I understand from the website the following:
>
> *	no orders for less than 10,000 laptops
> *	Kenya is not in the first wave of deployments (green), Kenya is
> in the second wave (red)
>
> Can anyone tell me:
>
> *	when does the second wave start?
> *	What NGOs doing work in Kenya are signed up to OLPC?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tim

Here in Nepal we received 200 machines through the Give Many program. It
was a pretty arduous bureaucratic process to go through and the Give
Many program is in a constant state of flux.

Steve Holton wrote:
> As I understood, deployments are targeted toward government-run
> educational institutions. Thus 10,000 units makes sense as a minimum.
> (There are, however, rumors of 'give many' programs where deployments
> of as few as 100 machines can be arranged.)

Many, many pilots are happening outside of the Depts of Education but
all of them are targeted to government schools. Reliance Telecom is
leading many of the pilots in India, Pies Descalzos is leading a pilot
of 700 laptops in Colombia, and Carlos Slim of Mexico has bought 50,000
XO's for I don't know what.

Here in Nepal, the pilots are implemented by an NGO (OLE Nepal - my
employer) in partnership w/ Nepal's dept. of education.

In general, NGO's can do pilots w/ XO's but it takes a lot of legwork to
get the machines because OLPC's apparatus isn't set up for small orders

Bryan Berry
Kathmandu
OLE Nepal -- http://www.olenepal.org