[Olpc-open] OLPC Status of Kenya

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:22:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Tim Mercer
<Tim.Mercer at thomsonreuters.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me:
>
> when does the second wave start?

As I understood, deployments are targeted toward government-run
educational institutions. Thus 10,000 units makes sense as a minimum.
(There are, however, rumors of 'give many' programs where deployments
of as few as 100 machines can be arranged.)

The red/green/yellow designation for countries is based primarily on
the expressed interest of the Ministry of Education for that country;
countries which have expressed interest in deploying a "One Laptop Per
Child" type educational initiative are the green ones, those with no
interest or actively opposed are the red ones. The path toward green
is more involved with convincing that country's Ministry of Education
to adopt the project that in convincing OLPC to change their plans.

> What NGOs doing work in Kenya are signed up to OLPC?

I can't answer that. You might want to ask on the grassroots list.