[Olpc-open] 45,000 G1G1 orders

Carolyn Turbyfill cturbyfill at mac.com
Sun Nov 25 18:13:53 EST 2007

I live in Virginia and I'm headed to China on Dec. 2 if anyone wants
me to take a laptop or two with me.
How heavy are they?
Internal flights in China have  a luggaage weight limit of 43
pounds.  If they are heavy I'd have to give them
to someone in Guangzhou Baiyun Airport where I will arrive:
Arrive: 	4 December 2007 Airport: 	Guangzhou Baiyun Arpt  06:50 AM
Guangzhou China

This is the hub for China Southern Air.  I'll be leaving for Beijing
at 10 am.
The trip to Beijing is where the 43 pound limit comes in.

--Carolyn

On Nov 25, 2007, at 4:12 PM, tall897 wrote:

> To purchase the olpc as an act of charity would be worthy; but as a
> helpmate it would be foolish, as compared with the availability of
> the advanced, polished ASUS EEE, which is far more useful. But, as
> has been said, one is best for the modern country and the other for
> primitive conditions, so the two are meant for entirely different
> populations. And what is the purchaser to do if the olpc breaks
> down after its 30 day warranty expires?
>
> On Nov 25, 2007 12:15 PM, John Kintree <jkintree at swbell.net> wrote:
> According to a front page article from the Nov. 24, 2007
> Wall Street Journal, "there were about 45,000 two-laptop
> orders in the first nine days, with nearly half coming on the
> first day."
>
> The online version of the article can be seen at:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119586754115002717.html?
> mod=home_we_banner_left
>
> I'm glad that instead of ending Nov. 26, the G1G1 initiative
> has been extended to Dec. 31, 2007.
>
> For those who think the XO laptops should be commercialized,
> and sold to anyone who wants one for $200 apiece, I would say
> that if you can afford one for $200, you can afford to pay $400
> to G1G1.
>
> For those in Europe or Japan who would like to participate in
> G1G1, to simplify things for the OLPC staff, maybe you could
> work through a local not-for-profit organization that would
> aggregate orders from your country.  Then OLPC could deal
> with a relatively small number of organizations instead of with
> lots of individuals.
> Regards,
> John Kintree

Carolyn Turbyfill