[Olpc-open] tabula rasa

Timothy Falconer timothy at immuexa.com
Mon Nov 19 13:21:59 EST 2007

Hi all,

Just wrote up a series of "keep in mind" comments for our XO effort.
These are aimed at tech people using XOs for the first time.  Thought
they might be generally helpful too:

1. TABULA RASA ... this machine is a clean slate!

2. Trust OLPC ... many smart people made choices for reasons we may
not understand yet.

3. This is *not* Windows or Mac .... losing "bloatware" means losing
other things too ... give it time.

4. Most XO users will have never used a computer before ... they'll
have a very different experience than us.  OLPC is focused on them,
not us.

5. This machine is made for all countries and all languages.  Many
Western biases will be missing, which may be confusing at first.

6. It's a freaking $200 laptop.  Lower your expectations regarding
performance, etc.   It's low-power, low-cost.  Adjust your brain
accordingly.

Timothy Falconer
http://waveplace.com