[Olpc-open] How to be radical

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:37:26 EST 2007

On 11/15/07, Benjamin M. Schwartz <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> You are standing in the afternoon of a beautiful, clear summer day, holding an
> umbrella and complaining about the rain.  You should just be happy, instead.

I'm in south Texas. Summer days, eh. Give me a November day any time.

Seriously, the trouble in your analogy is the fence in between me and
the picnic.

The brief opening in the fence is some small consolation for me, but
not for Francois, for whom the opening is too far away. My problem is
that many of the people I'd like to break bread with won't show up
until the opening is closed again.

There is no convicning reason that some of us outside the project can
discern for these things not to be marketed. There is plenty of reason
to suspect that there is some ideological fastidiousness that weakens
the technically and pedagogically superior XO against its competitors.

That's the problem. Winning Burkina Faso is great, but winning Burkina
Faso while conceding Europe and America just seems confused.

mt