[Olpc-open] documentary

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Tue May 29 03:01:48 EDT 2007

I agree, I've been pushing Walter Bender and Nicholas Negroponte over email
for the past year every once in a while, cause I'd like more video content
be published on http://olpc.tv

- Filming of children using the laptops and teachers integrating them into
the class
- Engineers fixing bugs and working on new features
- Mass production preparations in Taiwan and China
- Nicholas Negroponte in certain countries talking to heads of state
- More extensive coverage of every olpc event around the world

I'm a video-blogger and would be happy to shoot some more olpc videos other
than at the Consumer Electronics shows that I got to and when it's there as
it was at last CES: http://ces2007.video-blog.eu/category/olpc/

But I'd also be happy when a little effort from someone for example working
with a University near each test school would take a camcorder and document
more extensively how the olpc is being used, that someone working at
Cambridge make much more extensive coverage of software and hardware
engineering, in Taiwan that someone would film Lou Jepsens and Quanta's
finalizations of mass production preparations and some assistant of Nicholas
Negroponte should always have a camcorder in the pocket, ready to film more
coverage of his travels, discussions with heads of state, with official
reactions from each country and more like it.

On 5/29/07, John Kintree <jkintree at swbell.net> wrote:

> Is it time to produce a documentary that illustrates the capabilities of
> the
> XO computer?  I would like to see such a production begin with children,
> in
> schools that have already received XO computers. demonstrating what they
> can
> do with them.  This would include the mesh networking, dual-mode monitor,
> Sugar interface, and some of the networked activities.  Since the units
> that
> have already been distributed to children are the B2 builds, the
> documentary
> might conclude with a visit to MIT and demonstration of the enhanced
> capabilities of the B3 units, and a description of other design changes
> that
> might take place, such as the antenna, before mass production begins.
>
> While children might take the lead role in demonstrating how the XO works,
> the
> documentary should be directed and edited by skilled and experienced
> people.
> The final outcome could be published at YouTube and Google Video, as well
> as
> with a higher quality version in ogg theora format that could be published
> for downloading.
>
> If sufficient orders from national departments of education have not been
> received at the time the documentary is produced, the documentary could
> help
> raise the orders, or be used as a fund raising tool.  I know that if an
> opportunity for individuals to purchase two XO computers, one of which the
> buyer would receive and the other being given to a child in a developing
> country, I would like to see a comprehensive documentary before placing my
> order.  BTW, I would be happy to pay in advance, with my money held in an
> escrow account, until a minimum number such as  250,000 units was ordered.
> Regards,
> John Kintree
> 4043 Delor Street
> St. Louis, MO  63116