[Olpc-open] some questions...

Bipin Gautam bipin.gautam at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 12:02:19 EST 2007

hello list,

i have few q. so here it goes. please answer or drop your view on any of the Q.

1). I read in the laptop hardware specification
Altitude: -15m to 3048m (14.7 to 10.1 psia) (operating)

so the laptop ISNT designed to operate over 3048m height and doing so
will void all warenties?

 2). Can someone recomend me a cheap solar pannel. All i came across
so far is abt 5$/watt   cost.

3). I read the laptop uses
Cell type: NiMH  Cycle life: Minimum 2,000 charge/discharge cycles (to
50% capacity of new, IIRC).

NiMH is generally known to have around 500-1000 charge/discharge
cycles and if the battery reaches to 80% of its original potential it
should be termed as SHOULD BE REPLACED. what is the fact?

does the laptop come with a charger? whats the efficiency of the charger? (in %)

what is the public available cost for battery replacement ( 5$) ?

4).what is the average POWER CONSUMPTION (a rough stat) by the laptop
on following conditions?

- while using multimedia, song/av (use of monitor n speaker)
- browsing, reading text etc
-while using CAM only
-mike only
-speaker only
- idle and its WI-FI is only working
all of the avove

5). Shock: 125g, 2ms, half-sine (operating)
Impulse? this would roughly make... the laptop will survive a 2m fall
on a flat surface.

how abt if it falls on a on sharp edges, pointed stones etc maybe a
roll test on stair, slope/stony roads.
Please explain me with some physical equivalent of it... that the
laptop can indure.

hoping foer some response.

with regards,
-bipin