[Olpc-open] RE: [mass storage] Is it possible to substitute flash?

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 18 05:00:59 EST 2007

Xan wrote:
> Why not distributed backups?: laptops could interconnect with wifi
> (without a server needed). So, one laptop could "help" another and store
> a partial chunk of a backup (the laptop that "help" could limite the
> borrowed space in % or MB).

Distributed backups in our case are very inefficient storage-wise as you
need to store multiple replicas, expensive computationally as you need
to encrypt to ensure privacy, and altogether way too complex to warrant
serious consideration.

There are other interesting things you can do with distributed
information lookups on the mesh, and I'm evaluating those, but backups
are not on the list.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D