[Olpc-open] RE: [mass storage] Is it possible to substitute flash?

Brian Deyo brian.deyo at dserve.net
Wed Jan 17 10:42:55 EST 2007

  Why involve a school server to do backups when a 512mb SD card would
work just as well?

  I know keeping the cost down is a major hurdle, but including a SD
card for every laptop couldn't add that much to the cost if the cards
were purchased in bulk.

  The cards included with the laptop could automatically perform a
synchronization with the main storage on startup.  Most kids would
probably leave the cards inside the slot anyway, and therefore would
have a backup handy.

  The obvious problem with this idea is children misplacing the SD
cards.  So if we're going to involve the school in the backup procedure
anyway, why not make them responsible for keeping the stacks of SD
cards?  This would cut down on any costs associated with a server that
has "large hard drives."  A label-maker and a stack of SD cards don't
require the same maintenance and training an onsite server would require
either.

Brian Deyo