[Olpc-open] RE: [mass storage] Is it possible to substitute flash?

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 09:51:19 EST 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 11:24, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
...snip...

BF> The plan is to automatically back up the kid's data as soon
BF> as the laptop comes into the school server's range, which is
BF> supposed to have large hard drives.

Talking about 'school servers'... where can I find information
about it? Do plans exist?

I heard about Brazil building their own (news rumours basically)
when Lula received Negroponte, but not much else.

Although the laptop could deploy without school-servers, I think
both politically and from (a software) development point of view
it is a good thing to have a clear message about them.

Software-wise, it is smart not to start from false assumptions.
For example: there IS going to be a server, what if not? will the
activity still work? Will the software need to go in a special
server-less mode? How will that impact in the overall usability
of the software, etc.

Or more mundane: how will the kid browse his backups? a-la *nix?
or a more user-friendly way integrated into Sugar? Imagine in
AbiWord something like: 'sorry, the file you try to edit is
stored in the school-server, do you want to retrieve it?'. Or it
could automagically recover it? What if memory is not enough?
Will things be (again) automagically uploaded to the server to
free space?

Politically, and here I'm assuming, governments should KNOW about
the extra costs that they will incur into. We are talking of
important chunks of their educational budgets here, we don't want
it to fall due to 'but that was obvious, wasn't it?' kind of
excuses...

Those two things together could also work to the project's
advantage.  For example, teacher WILL be a major part of the
equation (in many places on the wrong side - read, liability).
With a school server, you can start luring teachers and
administrators by providing software capable of running or
administering the school (attendance, grades, accounting, etc).
You give them tools, they'll be more open (even desperate) to get
into the project...

I always loved the saying:
     Do not ASSUME, because it makes an ASS o U and ME
but we all do it... :)

My 2cts,
Xavier

--