[Olpc-open] open purchases

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Sat Jan 13 18:43:43 EST 2007

Not that I don't agree that there is some general air of wish
fulfillment in the most recent "2 for 1" case it was a BBC reporter
(not a wish fulfiller) asking Michalis Bletsas (OLPC CTO, mesh guy,
etc) questions and his reported response that caused this issue.
Details on that story are on the reporters blog

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2007/01/
taken_in_good_faith.shtml>

This seems to be more an issue of getting the "spin" (aka PR) from
the principals of OLPC correct.

Who knows maybe Michalis Bletsas is a wish fulfiller too (I hope so :-).

The wiki now seems to have decent content on this too.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Retail

That said perhaps some governments might actually want to go this way
themselves to defer their costs. It's one way of offsetting their
costs for the OLPCs that go to their citizens. The OLPC project per
se has little interest in this (given its financial structure).

--
Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell at pobox.com