[Olpc-open] open purchases

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 13:09:58 EST 2007

Sorry to burst your bubble but apparently the "Buy 2 Get 1" idea
was never so...

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ask_OLPC_a_Question#Is_the_.27buy_2_and_get_1.27_scheme_going_to_happen.3F

and

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:News#News_Story_on_BBC_news

From what I read, all this buzz and spin is more wishful thinking
by enthusiasts wanting to see the project turn into a reality
than any real or concrete ideas that the OLPC is having.

At best, any effort towards creating a consumer product out of the
OLPC will just generate a tiny fraction of the expected demand by
governments: tens (if not hundreds) of millions of units... not
many products sell in those numbers... and catering to consumer
demands is a real nightmare (as seen in the laptop industry in
general).

My 2cts,
/X

PS: I could be wrong! I would also love the opportunity to buy one
myself! :)

On Saturday 13 January 2007 13:33, John Kintree wrote:
JK> I'm glad that OLPC project is considering ways for open
 purchases of the laptop.   This would result in a greater
 quantity ultimately purchased, which would lower the per unit
 costs for everyone, and would provide a greater incentive for
 developers and peripheral manufacturers to write applications
 and drivers for the laptop.  Given the superior
 price/performance of the laptop, as long as the preference for
 children in developing nations is maintained, there is no reason
 to deny the laptop for other people of all ages and locations.

JK> There might be arrangements for two types of purchasers:
 individuals and institutions.  For individuals, the "buy 2, get
 1" arrangement makes sense.  For institutions, such as local
 school districts, it might be "buy 1,000, get 750," since the
 per unit order processing and S&H would be lower for
 institutional customers.

JK> Finally, the model adopted by commutercars.com to fund
 development of their two-passenger, electric car is interesting.
  Individuals can place the amount of the estimated purchase
 price into an escrow account.  If and when sufficient interest
 and funds are in the account to proceed, commutercars.com spends
 the money; otherwise, the money is refunded to the people who
 were willing to pay in advance.

--
XA
=========