[Olpc-open] Awkward position of Network Computer in China

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Tue Feb 13 14:56:09 EST 2007

Basically the fixed mass produced hardware for Linux is what I would like to
see come soon.

Low power consumption, Mesh Wi-Fi and better dual mode screen are awesome
new technologies.

The point of making it very, very cheap, using highly optimized software.
That is a business model that I see would fit greatly for a Google Laptop
project, or from Dell, IBM, Wal-Mart or some other large coorporation could
mass produce a commercial version of it with a larger screen, a larger
keyboard, iVDR removable hard disk drive slot, HSDPA and Wi-Max module
port.. That served for less than 300$ by large coorporations on the
capitalistic market in the western and developping countries. If I was a
large coorporation other than Microsoft and Apple, or leader of a major
country, I'd jump on this project not only as a helping of kids in
developping countries, but also as a disruptive technology to revolutionnize
the computer business.

This sure will happen in time, it might be helpfull that it happens soon so
that the commercial but still open-source developpment can also help the
OLPC project get better software faster, more of the components produced
cheaper and faster.

On 2/13/07, John Kintree <jkintree at swbell.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 11:58 am, xuan wu wrote:
> > There must be many reasons for the  computers left unused, but I think
> the
> > pressure of living is one of them.
>
> When Maria Montessori designed educational materials, the items that
> children
> did not choose to use, but were left sitting on the shelves, were removed,
> and she replaced them with other materials.   Let's consider what happens
> when children are given OLPC computers for the first time later this
> month.
>
> Yes, OLPC does stand for One Laptop Per Child.  You have to start
> somewhere.
> I know a number of people, myself included, who would like to see it
> progress
> to One Laptop Per Person.
> John Kintree
> http://home.swbell.net/jkintree/islt/