[Olpc-open] Re: [OLPC Security] Application bundles and delegation

Bipin Gautam bipin.gautam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:56:24 EST 2007

On 2/13/07, John Kintree <jkintree at swbell.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 09:08 am, Bipin Gautam wrote:
> > Indeed! This could mean a way... even parents will be more intrested
> > in interacting with the laptop. On top of it we could even add more
> > localized websites that could mean lots to adults. Maybe websites like
> > about agriculture ( daily price list, best practices etc) the
> > possibilities are many. And they could interact with other parents
>
> Good point.  Parents and neighbors will naturally learn through the exposure
> they get as the children bring their laptops home.  By 2010, if prices have
> fallen to $50 per laptop, the goal of One Laptop Per Person might be
> feasible.  At that price, a quantity of 7 billion laptops would cost $350
> billion, which is a fraction of global, annual military expenses.
> John Kintree
> http://home.swbell.net/jkintree/islt/

I'm afread my frend... if we can DREAM of a 50$ laptop.
OLPC is again calling for new feature list/suggestions in hardware.
There will be pressure from more market competation to make more
hardware improvements. Mabe they might offer in two falvours something
that costs less with less features or something that costs more with
more feature. It will be a difficult decision to make as say; a child
8 right now will drow 14 with the laptop... it would be a difficult
decision to make if the laptop that looks "somewhat" sufficuent by now
would be sufficuent to the child in 6 years time. OLPC dont want their
laptop to be obsolute in that time. Cell phone already have more smart
features than a P2-P3 computer at a small fraction of price.

My best prediction is... OLPC will continue to stack up more features
mantaining the 100$ price. There are still wideeeee rooms for
improvent even in current hardware design and more improvement would
mean more cost to balance.

BTY: I STILL DONT SEE ANOUNCEMENT FOR WHAT WILL BE THE WARENTY TIME OF
THE LAPTOP..... ANY PREDICTIONS? OR ANYTHING MEANINGFUL ON THIS???

with regards,
Bipin Gautam, Nepal