[Olpc-open] Broadening OLPC security model considerations

Evangelinos Dimitris evangelinos at physics.auth.gr
Thu Feb 8 00:48:22 EST 2007

Disclaimers: I am not a computer expert. I don't even have kids. I am
a science educator that just encountered today's slashdot.com article
and discussion (http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/02/07/2137233.shtml) and
out of curiosity read the public release of the Bitfrost security
spec. Following are my first spontaneous reactions, so please excuse
me if I reiterate issues already taken care of. If this is out of
topic, please advise for a suitable place to post it.

These are my worries:

1. The laptop will descend like a gift from heaven and land into a
child's life, invoking possibly unforeseen changes to her life.

2. The laptop, like mythological fire, will become a new tool
bringing power, self-awareness, individual and collective
development, happiness but also may have unpredictable side effects.

3. If the laptop is stolen, damaged or just worn out, the child can,
and will be hurt in multiple dimensions, the most important of which
is the emotional one.

4. Therefore, the concept of "olpc security" should be reexamined to
include the dimensions of "olpc use and abuse security" and "personal
content loss security".

5. In the long term, a weapon attacking olpc laptops should be
considered as powerful as an atomic bomb.

Some comments and proposals:

1. Implementing laptop security should not seen only from the
perspective of computer science. I am glad regarding the privacy
provisions of the spec, as well as the precautions regarding incoming
content (nothing gets installed without approval) and safety of
owner-created content. Regarding the latter, the implementation of
centralised backup as described in the spec is a very important and
welcome decision. However, I think that in the case of olpc,
operating system security is closely linked to personal content
security, which in turn is linked to children's psychological  security.

2. olpc should consider consulting child psychologists and if
possible, include them in all aspects of development.

3. Psychologists should make a spec of possible psychological damages
("bad things") caused by laptop theft or damage, but *also* from
laptop use, abuse, and addiction (the latter being very important).

4. Implementing personal document security should become top
priority. I expect that one of the first functions of the laptop will
be to serve as a personal 'locker' where the child will safe keep her
dreams, her complaints, her agonies and her hopes. Personal
documents, photos, school assignments or personal diaries should
become as secure as possible out of the box.

5. Schools and teachers should get in advance specific training to be
able to deal with the potential psychological damages caused by
laptop theft, vandalism, peer violence, malfunction and also its use,
abuse, or even addiction to it.

To sum up:

We live in a dangerous world. The children of e.g. Africa, although
sometimes more aware than us that they live in a dangerous place,
cannot protect themselves from the laptop itself or from the loss of
it. To clear things up, I am not saying (as some educators would)
that "education (and the world in general) is better off without
computers". All I am saying is that the laptop, as every tool, is
potentially (and sometimes unintentionally) dangerous from many points of view.

Computer security as an academic science and a commercial discipline
developed out of the need to protect individual property and
sensitive information by hardening systems, implementing backup
strategies, etc. These represent mainly the machine point of view and
I am very glad the olpc security spec raises the bar on these issues.

In my humble view, the concept of "security" in the context of olpc
should be reexamined and attempt to enlarge its scope: not only focus
on machine security, but also children/human security. Even Asimov's
laws of robotics considered that beyond protecting the machine from
itself and others, it should also never harm the owner or do 'bad
things' to other humans.

I think that Asimov's tales are not irrelevant to the present
discussion. The olpc laptop may not be a robot, however, the child's
relation with it will be as strong as with a newborn "brother/sister
in the machine". The laptop will acquire multiple roles: a play
partner, a window to the world, a dream fairy, a super hero, an
all-knowing wizard, a savant teddy bear, a missing family member,
perhaps it will even acquire the status of a better
mother/father/teacher/friend.

The above roles already make the laptop more human than usually
thought of. In that sense, not only there is a ghost in every
machine, but children are always able to see it, and therefore *will*
live with it. Unfortunately, most grown-ups have lost this ability.
So let's consider some more specs regarding that ghost.