[Olpc-open] Why is G1G1 program ending?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Dec 29 18:12:45 EST 2007

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Miscellaneous links that I think are relevant:

http://nepal.ole.org/home/?q=node/109. This rather clearly states what
the OLPC team in Nepal needs.

http://laptop.org/faq.en_US.html: This says, "The founding corporate
members are Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Brightstar, Google, Marvell,
News Corporation, Nortel, and Red Hat." Other corporations have since
joined, including Intel. But these are the people who were in at the
beginning.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server: main documentation page for the
school server. Admittedly, you'll need someone with Red Hat sysadmin
skills to make any sense of this, but they aren't all that rare. At
first glance, it looks to me like "all you have to do" is procure the
correct wireless hardware, download and burn a LiveCD, and boot it on a
PC with enough memory and disk to support the software. I didn't see
anything there about backups and other vital IT functionality, but I
assume that's on there somewhere.

One other note: quite a few charitable and other non-profit
organizations publish lists of what they need and what they don't need.
Cash, of course, is usually at the top of the list, but I think it would
be a good idea if the OLPC project posted a "help wanted" page on the
wiki with things they need (besides G1G1 support!) and don't need.