[Olpc-open] Why is G1G1 program ending?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Dec 29 17:47:56 EST 2007

Carol Lerche wrote:
> So, "off-target" educational users (those in the US) do have wireless
> problems.  There is not documentation of what to do to set up a school
> server TODAY.  This just shows that the project is in need of more hands to
> make lighter work.  I think even in the educational arena the staff has had
> the "luxury" of doing each deployment themselves, in hand-holding mode.

Well ... there is some documentation on the school servers on the Wiki,
and as I understand it the school server software is "less baked" than
what's on the XO. Again, though, there has always been a "developer
program" through which people could receive hardware for testing when
they needed it.

> I understand that I was privileged to get hardware in the US and am willing
> to find workarounds and  am doing so.  But as someone who spent several
> years supporting technology at a K-8 school as a parent volunteer, I think
> you may find educational deployments more needy (because less tech-savvy)
> than the geek community that we are lucky to have due to the G1G1 program.
> I am counting on lots of new support for the XO and its infrastructure
> showing up just because so many applications will be tried.

Well, I think that the geek community too has always been there and
always ready to help. Now a lot of us (putting on my geek hat) won't go
near anything from Apple, Microsoft or Texas Instruments on a volunteer
basis. :) But give us Linux or Ruby or Apache or Moodle or Python and
we'll be there. :)