[Olpc-open] dual boot ubuntu

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Fri Dec 28 23:19:19 EST 2007

> Steve:
>
> Re: get out there and make a dual boot system.  If only!  I don't know
> how.  I mean, is grub already part of sugar?  I should check.

 This might work as well for you as a dual-boot:

 The other night I fooled around and figured out I could:

(1) root login (ctrl-alt F1)
(2) edit /etc/yum.d/fedora.repo to change the "enabled 0" to "enabled 1"
(3) run "yum install xfce4-session"
(4) copy /home/olpc/.xsession-example to .xsession
(5) change the line in .xsession at the bottom from "#exec xterm" to
"exec xfce4-session" (no '#')
(6) get a developer key and back things up in case the system hangs
when you reboot (don't actually know how to do that myself, but I'm a
risk-taker and tried it with no backup - which was probably wicked
stupid for someone who doesn't know linux inside out).
(7) had to reboot twice for some reason (first time hung >10 minutes)
(8) sugar complains about "some other  wm running?", but it all works
like a charm.
(9) right-click on the xfce4 desktop manager at the top of the screen
and disable it (sugar really wants the whole screen, and things get
hidden if you don't), and right-click on the xfce4 button panel at the
bottom and move it to the top-right, where it doesn't get in the way
of most Sugar UI.
(10) You can pretty much install any app in
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/,
until you fill up your NVRAM (OpenOffice.org, for instance, might be a
poor choice).  Firefox with tabs works swimmingly.  Haven't figured
out how to make a sugar button for it yet...

This is from memory, there might be some misspellings/skipped steps.

Steve