[Olpc-open] "adopt a child" type programs in G1G1 OLPC areas??

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:36:34 EST 2007

classroom connection seems for sure for sure possible/important - somehow.

if i can find a coder, i do have a research license for TrIM, a multilingual
instant messaging client that could be used to help facilitate such
exchanges -- it could be ported and adapted for the xo -- and for testing a
connection it could tap google's translation api (which google agreed to
give access to). for kids acquiring/learning language, machine translation
would be acceptable.

but there is still enough interest out there that even just practicing
english would be realistic, no multilingual im needed.

may already be happening; but getting a school in the u.s., canada or europe
to raise money and sponsor some self-directed xo machines would seem to be
very possible; something kids and a community could get into -- like "sister
schools" or whatever. very possible.