[Olpc-open] Working on a repository system for Nepal's OLPC pilot

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu Dec 13 21:28:29 EST 2007

Bryan Berry wrote:
> Ed that's a great idea, to set up the use cases and to use RoR or
> Django . You could use those frameworks for the UI but you really need a
> mature and __scalable__ back-end for the library, particularly when a
> real e-library will have an immense amount of distibuted storage,
> metadata, and enhanced search capabilities. I don't there is any single
> ruby 'rail' or django 'snippet' that can provide all of those :)

I don't know anything about Django, any end, back or front. But I can
certainly vouch for the scalability of the most common Rails back ends
such as PostgreSQL, as well as the scalability of the most common web
server for Rails, Mongrel. This stuff works and scales.

As far as the "middle end" is concerned -- the "business logic" in the
model part of the Rails Model-View-Controller architecture -- that's
where I think you'd have the most performance risk. However, I'm sure
that if there's a "budget" for this, posting on the Rails mailing list
would turn up some people who would love to take this on. That list can
be found at http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails.