[Olpc-open] Responding to misinformed criticism of OLPC

Jim Sayre jfsayre at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Dec 13 13:50:32 EST 2007

Thanks to all of you who replied.

My concern wasn't so much with winning Dvorak over - both his article
and his response to some of the talkbacks (he wrote his own talkback to
trash Nicholas Negroponte's polite reply, for example) make it pretty
clear that he has a closed mind, which is probably good for his
self-appointed role as a cranky curmudgeon.  But well over half the
talkbacks supported him, and it's pretty obvious from reading some of
them that a lot of people are just following his gripes without thinking
for themselves.

These things have a way of spreading.  A TechRepublic blog picked up on
the Dvorak article and asked for reader's comments:
(http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1721&tag=nl.e019)

It was in turn picked up by a normally thoughtful member of a universal
access email list I belong to, who agreed that food is more important
for starving people than computers.  (Duh...)  I referred her to this
site.  The more publicity OLPC can generate about the active projects,
like the one in Nepal that folks are discussing this morning, the less
impact such criticism will have.

In the end, even Dvorak may have to admit he's wrong.  After all, he
probably uses a mouse now and then.  :)

Jim