[Olpc-open] Responding to misinformed criticism of OLPC

tekelsey at gmail.com tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 01:59:32 EST 2007

Thank you so much, for taking the time to share this story, and for being bold enough to do so in public, to engage in discussion.

Thank you also, for making the sacrifices you did for those kids back then. Some of them are alive right now, and you may or may not be aware of the effect you had on them, but on behalf of those children, I thank you.

I encourage you, I urge you to write a memoir on your experiences. It sounds really interesting. Worth reading. Worth editing.

If it helps at all, I am not sure if anyone would really have an interest in my story. But I do feel like there is probably someone out there, or maybe even a few people, a handful at least, who might read it. And though there may be dark days ahead (I betray the lenses through which I look at the world some of the time, bought on 9/11 with the blood of someone I attended college with, on Flight 93), I do firmly believe in Middle Earth, in the classical sense, of paradox. So in spite of how I walk by sniffer dogs each day in a building that is very likely a terrorist target, I go home with an increasing intent to write "my story", for anyone who wishes to read it.

At first, I intended only to send this to you. Sometimes I hesitate on lists, as I am not fond of being roasted when I happen to say the wrong thing.

But I do in fact encourage anyone who ends up reading this to write their own story, either capturing the past, or writing through action.

I have little sense of how to meet criticism about what olpc is not addressing, except to say "yes, let there be more awareness of all issues, none to be excluded. Let's make it happen. I will work with you brother, sister."

my understanding is that there is a great hunger for learning in the developing world.

(Is there any part of the world that is not developing? If you are out there looking for a lightning bolt to travel down your kite string, try reading the End of Poverty)

I guess I'd let those hungry for learning speak for themselves. I've listened to myriads of cab drivers from africa and the middle east.

They would say: "yes." to education, to help with aids, debt, disease, water. Olpc is no panacea, but yes, important. The answer to gaps, deficiencies? Act.

For those who wonder, I say: write the story: learn more about the project. Pick an area where you can be productive. make it your story.

Here I was all ready to go to sleep, and then emails like this come in.

I need to stop reading my email!