[Olpc-open] Olpc-open Digest, Another argument-for-the-sake-of argument attempt

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:40:42 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 2:43 PM, Dusty MacMorgan <lvsfan35 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- olpc-open-request at lists.laptop.org wrote:
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >    1. Re: Tools, etc. :-) (Yoshiki Ohshima)

> <snips>
>
> > > rather have a voice user interface (I can dream, can't
> > > I? :-) (Oh, alright, yes, I'm a Trekkie :-)).

Multilingual text-to-speech should happen reasonably soon, as I read
the signs. The Simputer had it, so the software source is out there.
Speech recognition will take longer.

[snip]

> Here is a Fantastic contribution to our world
> (even the unintended? consequences, such as Intel & Gates suddenly
> realizing, Hey, we can make a cheap, useful laptop too.  ;-D

I don't think the developing countries can afford the Wintel notion of
cheap, or use their notion of useful to achieve the real goals.

> ), and
> I'm so
> psyched about the possibilities, I've subscribed to every OLPC list
> I can find (even the Dev. ones -- waaaay over my head).

Have you seen http://www.olpc.tv? Not affiliated with OLPC, but
collects videos about it and from it.

> But I've unsubscribed from some because of a few members
> who use 80% of the bandwidth in arguing that is mainly "I'm so smart"
> posturing. I'm afraid this one will be next.  Pity.

Thank you for Not Feeding the Trolls.

> Keep up the Great Work!

You, too.

--