[Olpc-open] Status of MaMaMedia and Avallain

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:45:06 EST 2007

I am not certain on either Mamamedia or Availlain -- my guess is that they
are both instances where employees of the companies are trying to fit in
product development for olpc in parallel with their corporate development (
i.e. staying late at work to try and get it done). The best thing I could
suggest is to send an email once a month, asking them what the status is of
their work -- and if you like, asking them if there's any help you can
provide to put it forward -- simply by getting a sense of the help they
need, and possibly updating their wiki page (x,y,z needed, please add your
name if you are willing to help) -- eventually enough traction may occur to
get something going.

On Dec 6, 2007 11:04 AM, Carol Lerche <cafl at msbit.com> wrote:

> Their wiki seems dead. November 30, the date stated as the next milestone,
> is past -- what is the status? When I look at the "blocker bugs" it isn't
> clear why they block a release. Why does language selection have to be
> dynamic, for example? Couldn't versions be packaged for individual
> countries? This stuff isn't present in the latest vmware image I downloaded
> (649), and when I tried to install by browsing to the .xo link on the olpc
> wiki I got a stalled activity that required a reboot of the vm to clear.
>
> The activities in the mamamedia group seem most appropriate for creating
> early literacy content and that is what I am trying to put together for my 4
> g1g1 laptops, which are destined for a kindergarten in the South Bronx. Is
> there a mailing list for development activity?
>
> Also, the OLPC wiki tells me that Avallain is somehow the plan for
> supporting literacy contentn the OLPC, but I couldn't find any info on their
> website  There is mention of developing an open source version.
> Does anyone reading this list know about these content issues?
>
> Carol Lerche

Todd Kelsey

Save yourself from bloated email: http://www.sentenc.es/

About Me/CFTW | http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en

1000 Year Reunion (Poem) | http://welcome.cftw.com

Free Music by Me for You (mp3): http://www.cftw.com/music

"Fascinating for me to sit here and realize the interplay and influence that
music can have -- it is a part of my life, yet I haven't continued as I
could, partly out of thinking "there are more important things". but it has
it's place. i am sitting at olpc offices, and someone is playing pink floyd,
and I think music is a gift of creativity that can inspire an atmosphere of
creativity, and the range of such echoes is infinite." - Me