[Olpc-open] Specific vs generalization

Ed Montgomery edm at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:38:41 EST 2007

"The software in which kids can open the hood,
explore, and learn is
good.  Its UI should invite exploration."

I would agree with these statements.  However, your
beginning statement was 'good software', which is much
more far reaching and general.  Your statement above
is much more specific, concerning looking at
algorithms, etc., which I wholeheartedly agree with.
But 'good software' covers much, much more than this.

> I see.  So, please define, or give examples of
*very*
> good academics.

  How about Jerome Bruner?

Insufficient data.  I had a quick look at his
wikipedia entry (which I will assume is mainly
accurate :-))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Bruner

And immediately saw a few loopholes (which if you wish
more details, please email privately). I don't want to
start filling this list with hundreds of pages of
articles, links, arguments pro and con, etc.  But saw
lots of value as well.  However, without any
interaction with him to find out his current levels of
thinking/understanding, etc., I find that I cannot
comment on whether I would, IMHO, consider him, or
anyone else a 'good' or 'bad' academic.

  Ok.  I'm totally mistaken when you wrote "typical
ivory tower".
Sorry about that.

I, like many other people, apply this to very specific
situations, etc.

I'm not, and I don't.  Yet, the fact that earth is not
flat has been
examined carefully over long time (thousands of years)
and it is
simple as people know how to show it without relying
on the weakness
of human brain (you better not).  But computers in
education is not
that simple.  Is is not as 100% as earth non-flatness.

Oh, I dunno.  The abacus, a computing machine, has
been around for awhile, etc. :-)

tallk897's argument wasn't extreme at all.

Then I guess we'll just have to disagree on this
point.  I find any suggestion that computers are not
useful to children is extreme.  Displays a total
disregard for the overwhelming evidence around us,
similiar to someone who declares the earth is flat,
regardless of overwhelming evidence around them, etc.
There must be SOME reason that computers are becoming
more and more ubiquitous, etc. :-)