[Olpc-open] Whose choice? ;-)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Dec 5 12:58:55 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 18:12 , Ed Montgomery wrote:

> To each his own.  Let each kid (or any user) decide
> which they prefer, is my REAL preference! :-)

This might be valid in this specific instance, but it is a very
dangerous position to take if generalized. Yes choice is good, but
the range of offers must be very carefully selected. It's one of the
great insights of Maria Montessori that kids will play anyway, but
providing them with "good" toys enhances learning immensely. So it is
our responsibility to provide good choices.

There was a rather interesting discussion about that lately (although
in the context of higher education), unfortunately its threads are
not continuous:

http://www.nabble.com/--tf4824930.html
http://www.nabble.com/--tf4846337.html
http://www.nabble.com/--tf4853523.html