[Olpc-open] Olpc-open Digest, Vol 18, Issue 3

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Mon Dec 3 19:25:24 EST 2007

Re Audiobooks: Synchronization of audiobooks with ebooks would be highly
desired.  There are archives and archives of human read audiobooks provided
by Librivox.org that are currently being transcoded into the Highly
Compressed speex format. With Voice optimized speex it is possible to encode
an hour of audiobook in about 2-4 mb.

At this point it would probably be easier to implement some sort of
highlighting program and tagging in the speex file.  As the audiobook hits
specific time frames it highlights the sentence that is being read.  Word by
word tagging could be used for really early literacy materials.

I've been meaning to write up a draft and use-case for this program.  But
I've been working on packaging up the audiobooks still.  I'll go draft
something up on the wiki tonight.

Seth