[Olpc-open] Nicholas Negroponte WCIT keynote video

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Tue Jun 6 21:42:56 EDT 2006

Hi fans and engineers, I shot a video of nearly the complete keynote
at the World Congress on IT at which Nicholas Negroponte did a cool
closing keynote speech at the closing dinner on this 5th of May:

http://wcitvideo.com/?p=16

Sorry about the sometimes shaky and out of focus video. I was filming
clandestinely from the audience among Malaysian ministers and other
VIPs with my high definition camera.

At one point I was lucky that I got to talk with Nicholas Negroponte
for a minute, he was busy, had just been interviewed live on CBS and
going to some other meetings. But he told me WiMAX is overhyped and
that video does work, he told me "It can do everything". I didn't get
to ask about the expected range of the Mesh WiFi, nor did I get to ask
if DVD resolution DivX type of video will work, and I didn't tell him
how important I think video support is, that I think video is the best
educational application. All the teachers classes should be filmed and
the video should be put up on the classes video server. The device,
once the Mesh is connected with enough bandwidth, should get access to
all of Google Video content and more, where the video content can be
downloaded using http://getdemocracy.com kind of peer-to-peer rss
subscriptions. Government would broadcast documentaries, news,
video-talks, video-lessons and more which would become the video
curriculum.