[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Auckland Testing Summary 20 October 2012

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 21 15:14:46 EDT 2012

Hi Tom,

On 21 Oct 2012, at 10:31, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:

> Auckland Testing Summary 20 October 2012
> Who: Fabiana, John, Oliver, Tabitha, Tom
>
> 13.1.0 for XO-4 (build 7):
> The touch screen is working beautifully in this build, with no strange pointer, no calibration errors, good accuracy. There is some jiggling if you hold your finger motionless on the screen.
>
> The on screen keyboard never appears

The OSK enables when you switch into ebook mode (screen folded over keyboard), and disables when you switch to laptop mode.

> even when you select it from the frame.

This is currently related to the ebook enable/disable, a known issue that still needs fixing.

> There is no way to get the frame with the touch screen.

Swipe from down from the top toolbar frame edge area (toggles the frame open/closed). I still stand behind the touch design work for accessing the frame with a swipe in from any edge, but there are gesture gtk bugs, and missing tuning features that effects some activities that we don't have time to debug – hopefully in the next cycle.

> While using the mouse pointer, it’s quite easy to have the frame appear and then not go away. Briefly hitting a corner with the mouse and moving back to the centre will cause the frame to appear after which the only way to get rid of it seems to be to return to a corner or use the frame key on the keyboard. The problem is not that the frame appears, but that it doesn't disappear.

This is a feature change for a number for design cases. All hide/show UI triggers are now toggles so you can use any interchangeably, and now that we have touch as well we needed to make them all work well together. Example, reveal the frame with the keyboard, hide the frame with the mouse into the corner, swipe down from the top edge to reveal the frame, hit the keyboard frame key to hide it again. Previously the keyboard _had_ to be used to hide the frame if you'd used it to open the frame, and the cursor had to be out of the frame if you'd used the cursor to reveal the frame. The new toggle behaviour for the cursor hot corners also improves the case for jumpy cursor, or low dexterity users, they no longer need to carefully traverse along the thin edges of the frame to get to access an icon.

> Logging in to google docs crashes Browse.
>
> There doesn’t seem to be any way to right click or hover to get a context menu when using the touch screen.

Touch screen technology doesn't yet support a hover gesture ;)

We are still tuning, and cleaning up the palette/button behaviour implementation with regard to touch, but expect a long press to be the equivalent of a right click or hover, in most cases, and expect some hover/right click use cases to go away completely e.g. touching/clicking an access point in the Neighbourhood view used to instantly disconnect you from what ever AP you were connected to, and attempt to associate with the AP you just touched. This was really bad for exploring the interface as a simple action could loose you your network connection – this primary disconnect/connect icon action has been removed and replaced by immediately raising the icon's palette, so you get extra information/context before taking, or not, the next step ('Connect', 'Disconnect').

> Ctrl-Shift-t does not open a new tab in terminal.

Worth opening a ticket on bugs.sugarlabs.org, for the component Terminal.

> Alt-Tab does not switch windows.
>
> vmeta drivers for XO-1.75 don’t work for playing back video. Does the XO 4 have the same hardware? Can it use the same drivers?
>

> One Education OS 1.2 (build au49) on XO-1.75 and (build au249) on XO-1.5
>
> Moon doesn’t work in Maori  - fails to start, just gives pulsing icon.

Known, broken translation strings in Maori, cjl fixed the broken translation string and it will make it into the next release I make.

> Talking clock doesn’t talk at all when language is set to Maori (as in there is no sound). The days of the week are all written on the screen in English, while the rest is in Maori.

Know, broken translation strings in Maori. I'm not sure if these are fixed yet. I'll be making another release in a day or two, so if the strings do get fixed they would make it into the next release.

> “Goodbye” in the shutdown screen is not translated to Maori. This might be an image rather than a word to translate.

Hmmm, this sounds like some local build customisation, I'm not aware of any text at all in the shutdown screen, it is all visual design, for the very reason it is a nightmare for localisation...

> Some of Typing Turtle is not translated to Maori, including the text balloons which you are invited to type.
>
> Tuxmath starts and shows the first screen (which is not translated to Maori) but crashes on XO-1.75 when you click “Play” with a “cannot execute binary file” error in the log. Tuxmath works on XO-1.5.
>
> Once on Rosella (an XO-1.5 with sentelec finger sensing pad) the touchpad went crazy, moving rapidly in a vertical line with no horizontal motion. Then it stopped moving altogether. It seemed to come right after pressing a key on the keyboard.
>
> Rosella also took a very long time to boot (several minutes) on one occasion. I eventually noticed it hadn’t booted, switched to a text console and by the time I brought a camera in front of the screen, booting continued.
>
> Arithmetic doesn’t have a Maori translation.
>
> In Record, high quality does work on XO-1.75, but the quality is very very low. Low quality is even lower! It would seem the XO-1.5 and 1.75 have similar recorded video quality.
>
> The build doesn’t expand to fill the size of the disk, leaving 4GB unused on an 8GB laptop.
>
> Get Books and Read work on XO-1.75.
>
> If you rotate maze, the game keys don’t rotate, so things get very confusing. The rocker rotates as expected. The playfield also extends off the screen in some rotations. Perhaps maze should not support rotation?

All activities should support rotation, worth opening a ticket on bugs.sugarlabs.org, for the component Maze. FWIW: Maze has touch support if you want to test it, just swipe the screen in the direction you want to move.

> On Ivy (an XO-1.5), Tam Tam Mini crashed, with grey screen and 100% cpu usage. Please find attached two backtraces from two different gdb sessions attached to the same process one after the other. The two traces are very similar.
>
> Slider puzzle has incomplete Maori translation
>
> In calculate the Show History link is not translated to Maori

I have another release of Calculate in a day or two, so if the translations are updated soon they'll make it into the next release.

Thanks for all the testing!

Regards,
--Gary