[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary - Auckland 13 October 2012

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Oct 13 03:52:43 EDT 2012

Auckland Testing Summary 13 October 2012
Who: Alana, Fabiana, John, Oliver, Tabitha and Tom

Rosella: XO-1.5 One Education OS 1.2 (build au248), Firmware Q3C09
with first language Maori and second language English (Great Britain)

Moon failed to start, but works if you change the language back to
English, log file attached for failed to start case

Firefox froze when you press the stop button

Tam Tam Mini was mostly translated but the category names (percussion,
animal etc for the instruments) were not

Record photos and videos worked fine

Clock does not speak the time but otherwise works. Changing to English
fixes the talking clock. Note that the Days of the week were not
translated, but everything else was. Log attached.

Screencast encoding was very slow. No translation. Saves to journal.
Attempting to play from the journal launches jukebox but the video
doesn't play

Physics works

Numbers works

Speak has an english accent and doesn't understand the macrons. The
robot greeting "I'm a robot alice..." has been translated but the
robot converses in english otherwise.

Ivy: XO-1.5 One Education OS 1.2 (build au248), Firmware Q3C07 in English
Maze, Memorize, Speak, Moon, Clock, Physics, Arithmetic, Implode, Tam
Tam Mini all worked

Turtle Machine: Three people (including a neuroscientist and a primary
school teacher and a teacher of teachers) all got stuck at level 9 and
couldn't get past it. Our school teacher suggests that once you
complete a shape you should get told the name but we're not sure what
to do when the shapes don't really have names. We also think there
should be some sort of hint or help facility. It would also be good to
skip a level if you get stuck on it but maybe this is cheating. You
don't actually have to do very much for the first levels because all
you have to do is click on the number and it auto-advances to the
correct value (it jumps values, 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,12,30) and choose one
angle less than what is already selected. Perhaps these should be
type-in boxes where you have to choose the right angle? Eventually (7
hours later on revisiting the activity) we found there was a library
of shapes created that we could reuse.

Both One Education builds ask for the users age when you first start
the laptop but you cannot enter an age with the keyboard, you have to
use the clickers or the arrow keys.

XO-1.75 running One Education OS 1.2 (build au48)
Moon, Implode, Memorize, Numbers, Slider Puzzle, Dimensions, Clock all work

Jigsaw was unusably slow when dragging pieces

Screencast stops recording after one second and doesn't save anything
in the journal (but it says it does)

The vmeta drivers won't load on this XO as they are for a different
architecture. Is there any other way to get hardware accelerated video
playback working?

XO-4 running 13.1.0 for XO-1.4 (build 5), firmware Q7B01
Startup sound has a raspy quality, pressing reasonably hard on the
right hand speaker grille seems to make it much better.

This laptop didn't shut down properly (perhaps because the shutdown
screen isn't always correctly understood) and stayed on in the bag. It
doesn't seem to have suffered from this.

Touchscreen has an offset which makes using it quite difficult. Is
there any further protection for the screen planned? It doesn't feel
as robust to impact as any tablet I've used, and the matt finish looks
like it might collect scratches.

There is a slight misalignment between the game key holes and the game
keys. This doesn't seem to stop them working. The front panel finish
is glossy with faint tool marks, while the finish on the rest of the
laptop is textured.

The rotate button doesn't do anything

Write works

Get Books works but doesn't show icon as being coloured after you use it

Read works

Wikipedia didn't load any pages, it looked like it started to progress
but it didn't

Maze works

Browse works but clicking in the dark areas of the scroll bar causes
the screen to scroll to that absolute position rather than one
screenful up or down.

Thanks testers