[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon May 21 19:46:16 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 07:13:27PM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
> On 19/05/12 17:31, James Cameron wrote:
> > - if you can get to the ok prompt, try "p2" or "dir u:\" or "boot" and
> >    tell me which of these freeze the laptop.
> [...]
>
> dir u:\ freezes
>
> This behaviour was the same on Q4D13 on Kiwi and Q3C06 on Ivy (p2
> was different but still returned 3 entries associated with the
> phone) and Q2E48 on Moodle (p2 different again but still 3 entries
> associated with the phone).
>
> The phone isn't presenting a disk, it's presenting an ADB connection
> and maybe some other services, but I haven't enabled it's mass
> storage option.

It is presenting a disk, according to the lsusb output you gave:

> Bus 001 Device 100: ID 12d1:1038 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. Ideos (debug mode)
> [...]
>     Interface Descriptor:
> [...]
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage   [ <-- ]
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)

So this is a device that says it is a disk, but that won't perform I/O
requests.  I think the outcome is expected; Open Firmware must check
USB drives for booting, and that check has to succeed for it to
continue.  Workaround is to pull the plug.

Does it work if the phone is configured to present as a disk?

I wonder if there is a standard way, apart from encoding the vendor
and product identifiers, to detect a mass storage interface that can't
be asked for data.

> I have another serial port which does not hang boot up:
>
> ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232
> USB-Serial (UART) IC

I've tested this one now, it turns out I have many of them.  Yes, it
won't hang, because there is no driver support for it in Open
Firmware.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/