[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon May 21 07:51:37 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 07:13:27PM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
> The serial port that hangs on boot is:
>
> ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

The XO-1.75, unlike the XO-1 and XO-1.5, has code to detect this
device in Open Firmware and use it as a keyboard input device.

But Open Firmware was not properly dismantling this before starting to
load the kernel.  I've fixed it for the next firmware release and
updated the ticket #11871.

> I have another serial port which does not hang boot up:
>
> ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232
> USB-Serial (UART) IC

As far as I can see, this device is not supported by Open Firmware, so
it should not hang on boot.  The output of the p2 command may confirm
this; there would be no serial device listed.

I don't have one of these to test with.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/