[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sun May 13 03:02:05 EDT 2012

Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012
Who: Fabiana, John, Tom

We tested 12.1.0 for XO-1.75, customized (build 9) and 12.1.0 for XO-1.5, customized (build 9)

nine, an XO-1.75:

paint: When I use the brush, the cursor has the shape of the brush. When I switched to bucket, it showed the bucket in the cursor initially, but after filling an area the cursor turned to be shaped as an arrow. When I choose picker, the cursor does not change from the arrow point. It still does what it should but it is disconcerting to see the arrowpoint. Shapes are workign, except that when I do a triangle it is upside up or upside down whether I stroke up or down when I draw it. This is true also for the orientation of the arrows. However, this is not true for the heart - it seems I can only make upside up hearts. Overall speed much better than last time where it was really sluggish.

Record:  Takes pix ok - Movie: The screen update is a bit delayed with respect to real time(eg. I can see myself blinking on the screen) at lo quality. The movie taht is produced is really pixelated. At high resolution - the screen just freezes within less than a minute and when you play back the movie it is a series of frozen frames rather than a continuous output.

Physics:  all ok until I was using the pencil and then it crashed. This is probably http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2512

Labrynth: seems ok - but in one instance while starting off the circle it showed me a screen that said ‘labrynth failed to start’ but it started anyway. Can’t figure out how to import an image - I click on the image icon and it says image add mode, but cannot see how to import an image from the journal - have I forgotten how to do this? Restarted and was able to bring in an image but it is really really small~ I also dont seem to be able to resize it. I also cannot bring the picture from paint activity. When I switch from picture to text mode, I don’t seem to be able to work with it any more - labrynth just seems to have stopped responding. After stopping labrynth I saw a number of windows asking me to choose a file -

Stopwatch: seems ok
Typing Turtle: Seems ok

Memorise: Single player: Tried numbers at 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 and all seem to work ok. When I change games sometimes the horizontal edges of the tiles diappear, but it seems that it has to do with the message to discard game that shows up at the top because when I say discard everything is back to normal - but it took me a while to figure out this is what was happening.

Image Viewer: I started and opened my image from paint all right - but the only way to open a second image required me stopping the activity again. Starting without specifying ‘new’ takes me back to menu rather than opening the last image I was working on. If I don’t choose an image right away, I need to stop and restart since I cannot find an open file option

Measure:
On Nine, an XO-1.75: Seems to work ok, except that every time that I click on voltage sensor and then I go back to microphone it swaps which of the two coloured channels displays the input from environment sound. Eg, I start with a flat orange line, and a wiggly blue line, and then after hitting voltage sensor and back to the microphone icon then the orange is wiggly and the blue is flat. Eventually it froze.

On Hoiho, an XO-1.75: I don’t see the swapping between the two colour channels. Managed to freeze it by clicking on the different subitems

On Rosella an XO-1.5: Both channels are connected to the microphone - whereas in Hoiho and
Nine both channels are visible but only one seems to have data. However, it is odd that in the FFT the trace for yellow and orange are slightly different - I assume that this is because both channels are alternating in data capture? I also had to start it twice - the first time I started I just got heaps of noise. Managed to crash this too.

On Kiwi, an XO-1.75: Froze this by swapping between the voltage and microphone and fft modes repeatedly and quickly. See attached for GDB backtrace and log.

yum worked earlier in the day, but later, when I wanted to install gdb on another laptop, it stopped working. In the afternoon, on every laptop I tried including both XO-1.75 and XO-1.5, it complained primary.xml.gz was corrupt:
[olpc@(none) ~]$ sudo yum install gdb
fedora/metalink                                                           | 5.3 kB     00:00
fedora                                                                    | 4.2 kB     00:00
fedora/primary_db                                                         |  11 MB     00:51
olpc-f17                                                                  |  951 B     00:00
olpc-f17/primary                                                          |  71 kB     00:00
http://rpmdropbox.laptop.org/f17/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
olpc-f17/primary                                                          |  71 kB     00:00
http://rpmdropbox.laptop.org/f17/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from olpc-f17: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

It turned out not to be gzipped:

[olpc at xo-74-39-24 ~]$ wget http://rpmdropbox.laptop.org/f17/repodata/primary.xml.gz -O - -q | head -n 3
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<metadata xmlns="http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/common" xmlns:rpm="http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/rpm" packages="38">

Kotare, error playing back video recorded with record from the journal. There doesn’t seem to be anything relevant in the log but on-screen it says “Error: resource busy or not available. - getalsasink.c(689): gst_alsasink_open(): Device ‘default’ is busy”. This happens even if viewing the video is the first thing you do after turning on the laptop. Playing the video back within record works fine. We also reported this in april: http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/TrZxAA8P77ffetOpg5eL

All the XO-1.75s are very slow to shut down, usually taking more than a minute. The last message on alt f2 was “store sound card state [ok]”

Hoiho does not boot if an android phone (with cyanogen mode and USB Debugging turned on) is plugged in, holding down checkmark we see the normal openfirmware banner and type the esc key to interrupt message and the 2 - 1 and then the laptop freees. I’ve also seem something similar with a USB Serial adaptor but haven’t explored this.

Poppy Copy, an XO-1.5 B2 doesn’t boot -- it complains about read only filesystems in the initramfs. We have reported this before, but still haven’t looked at exactly what is going on.

Rosella - all the text is very very tiny.

Kotare and Hohoi have a volume control in tam tam mini that isn’t connected to the volume control on the keyboard and can’t turn the volume all the way up.

Shutdown and restart from the center of the ring doesn’t work, nothing happens at all.