[OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary: 15 October 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sun Oct 16 07:02:26 EDT 2011

Who: Fabiana, John, Tom
Testing os881 on XO-1.75 and XO-1

Record on XO-1.75 photos and video work! Low quality video is very low
quality! Video doesn't seem to have any sound. On one occasion,
recording sound crashed the whole laptop, first record disappeared, then
a short time later the whole laptop froze with the microphone and camera
lights on. I couldn't see anything obvious in any of the logs after a
reboot. I also couldn't reproduce it.

Recording video on high quality on XO-1.75 doesn't work very well -- it
works for about 3 seconds and then the frame rate drops to about 1 fps
and then to zero. This is reflected in both the preview and the recorded
video.

On XO-1, Record photos work, but recording sound or video causes record
to disappear when you press stop to end the recording. When recording
video, sometimes it crashes shortly after you press start, if it doesn't
crash then it does crash when you press stop. This happened every time
we tried it including after a reboot. In every case, the record log ends
with the following lines:
** (sugar-activity:1594): DEBUG: Received SaveYourself(SmSaveLocal, !Shutdown, SmInteractStyleNone, !Fast) in state idle
** (sugar-activity:1594): DEBUG: Sending SaveYourselfDone(True) for initial SaveYourself
** (sugar-activity:1594): DEBUG: Received SaveComplete message in state save-yourself-done
Terminated by signal 4, pid 1594 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w' at 0xa3b0758>, dbus.ByteArray('1868f40e7d5dde3f4baab4ab9814c8e017942873', variant_level=1))

We also observed on one occasion record "failed to start" but started
anyway.

Physics on XO-1.75 has a grey block at the bottom of the screen which
doesn't seem to serve any purpose, The mouse pointer is not visible
inside this block.

This build does not include WikipediaEN 30 so doesn't have the fix for
crashing on the Energy page

Measure still doesn't work on XO-1.75 -- if you turn up the gain all the
way, you see perhaps 1 pixel of noise, but no signal. I played with
alsamixer but was unable to improve things.

When you hover over an activity in the ring, it gives you a description
at least twice. For browse this seems to be the title of the webpage
that was displayed when you quit. In the first copy of this, >
characters are displayed as > while in the second copy (why are there
two copies?) it is correctly displayed as a >

In Browse on XO-1 we observed a double linked list error, see log. This
wasn't reproducible.

Etoys on XO-1.75 seems to be very angry about rotation. If you rotate
the screen 4 times to return to normal upright and then start etoys,
insanity ensues. Parts of the screen are replaced by whatever was on the
screen prior to the last rotation. Hiding part of the screen with the
frame and then showing it again causes more of the screen to be replaced
with the rotated version of the previous activity. This is not a problem
on XO-1. Switching back to the ring and then back to etoys yields a
perfect copy of the previously rotated display. Rotating while inside
etoys seems to fix things.

This problem doesn't occur on XO-1.

Labyrinth works, including saving as png and pdf and viewing with the
viewer things.

Paint has scroll bars on XO-1 just like it does on XO-1.75 (reported
last week, but we didn't check on XO-1 then).

I noticed a number of graphics glitches on the XO-1.75, it seems like
sprites are either being corrupted while in off-screen buffers or they
are being blitted in from the wrong place. Usually icons turn into
blocks of uniform colour, but occasionally you see recognisable bits of
applications. I didn't attempt to find a reliable steps to reproduce,
but you see quite a lot during a few hour testing session. I don't see
these corruptions on XO-1.

Thanks testers.