[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 8 October 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Mon Oct 10 06:18:54 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 13:42 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:

> Looks like we don't have this in trac yet. Can you define "doesn't
> work" more precisely? Fails to launch? Tickets welcome!

In os8 on XO-1.75 we get a flat line from the microphone. We have
reported this in the past and understand that it is related to the sound
drivers not being finished. It works ok on the other XOs.

> > WikipediaEN on XO-1.75 dies in the same way as it did in os7 but os8
> > seems to be much much slower than in os7 -- it takes perhaps 1 minute to
> > see the Energy page and a few seconds after that it dies with the X
> > Windows error, no scrolling required. We reported this last week as
> > http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11295 This does not occur when you visit
> > the same page on the real wikipedia in browse. The frame also gets
> > confused about which programs are running when WikipediaEN dies.
>
> I can't explain the difference between different OS builds (perhaps
> there is a random element to this issue)

It is possible we miss-remember how slow it was on os7 and actually
there hasn't been a performance regression. The crash hasn't changed
significantly between the builds.

>  but I've added this as a
> known issue to the 11.3.0 release notes, thanks.

#11295 seems like a release critical bug for the XO-1.75 platform. In
os7 we saw similar X Windows bad alloc errors from several applications.
We didn't notice them in os8 except for reliable reproduction with
WikipediaEN described in #11295

> > On XO-1.75 Paint 36 works but froze the whole laptop on exit. Nothing
> > obvious in the logs. The canvas is just slightly too big for the screen
> > leading to scroll bars. It's possible that it would fit if there were no
> > scroll bars.
>
> Is this reproducible?

Yes for the scroll bars, however I don't recall if it is a problem on
XO-1.5 or not.