[olpc-nz] [OLPC-AU] Testing Summary: Auckland 12 March 2011

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Mar 13 19:22:05 EDT 2011

On 14 March 2011 09:47, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:48:36PM +1300, Tabitha Roder wrote:
>> Closing the lid of the XO, cannot get it to wake up by pressing the
>> keyboard or touchpad, wake up required you to push the gaming keys or
>> the power button or something (what I am trying to write here is that
>> the user was expecting any key to wake up because any key wakes up her
>> work laptop so that is what she was used to).
>
> this is expected.  after closing the lid, the only way to wakeup now is
> with the power button.  this is because of risk of overheat if laptops
> are stacked tightly next to each other; the lid magnet of one laptop can
> cancel the lid magnet of an adjacent laptop, leading to the lid sensor
> reporting lid open.  cooling capacity is reduced if lid is closed, and
> reduced further if laptops are stacked.  #10402

This behaviour was put in place after we discovered that XOs stored in
the XOP charging racks were overheating. By forcing the wakeup to be
an event explicitly triggered by the user, we eliminate this risk.

Perhaps we should consider having the wakeup triggered by _any_
physical key/button press?

Sridhar