[OLPC New Zealand] [olpc-nz] Sugar in the south

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Wed Jun 8 07:54:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 19:10 +1200, nathaN P wrote:

> How do we add applications of our choice (or is this really
> complicated) - the students really like the physics programme on
> Mirabelle but on the later live XO there are more applications but no
> Mirabelle - we would like the best of both worlds?

Open browse, navigate to http://activities.sugarlabs.org and download
the activities you want. The new activities should appear in your
journal and in the activity ring, though you may have to launch from the
journal the first time. You can also install activities from a USB
drive, from memory the external drive should show up in the journal view
or in the frame. Click on it and then the activity file you want to
install.

> .....and is it possible to change the setup default from German
> keyboard - one less instruction?

I haven't seen any sugar on a sticks with german keyboards. Which
version do you have and where did you get it?

> Can we save documents or settings - we are running live cds in 256mb
> ram computers,  removed hds and disconnected floppy drives - USB
> stick?

Sugar on a Stick is distributed as a CD image, but it is intended to be
installed on a USB flash drive. When used as intended, changes you make
will be stored on the drive and still be there after a reboot.

Instructions for preparing a flash drive are available at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation

If you have any trouble following these instructions, please get in
touch. We can send you a number of pre-prepared, tested USB sticks and I
can organise some elves to make more if you have a source of USB drives.