[OLPC New Zealand] Testing summary: 23 July 2011 - Auckland, NZ

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Jul 23 18:10:02 EDT 2011

On 23 July 2011 11:51, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
> Testing summary: 23 July 2011 - Auckland, NZ
> Who: Fabiana, Nevyn, Oliver, Tabitha, Tom

Thanks for the productive session!

> Registering with the schoolserver didn't work first time for some of our
> laptops. Trying again succeeded. I see timeout errors in the shell.log on
> ivy (attached).

Did Sugar cope OK with the timeout? (i.e. a reasonable error message appeared?)

Filed http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2999 and
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2998

> Other laptops in the neighbourhood are named with what looks like some kind
> of UUID at schoolserver. This doesn't seem to be deterministic, on anna, every
> other laptop has ids of this form, on ivy all other laptops except tux have
> a name of this form (tux is named tux as expected). See
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PCMZOMXSeFEtQ4JJVZFFlw?feat=directlink

We're working on this - http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10750

We're still facing a number of known issues with collab which would
result in issues like this. Hopefully things will get better over the
next few weeks.

> Maze doesn't seem to share, we get many crashes and strangeness -- usually
> maze would start and then shortly afterwards freeze up and disappear. See
> attached for logs. Maze works without sharing using the three options
> (gaming keys each side of screen and the arrow keys on keyboard).

Filed as http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/3000
(yay 3000 tickets!)

> Sending files between XOs worked, but the file send and receive icons never
> disappeared from the frame.

You have to dismiss them, on both sender and receiver. Hover over the
icon, the menu should come out with a "Dismiss" option. We suspect a
bug is present in that the Dismiss option does not always appear. It
would be interesting to know if you have hit that case.

Filed as http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/3001

> We went to Tangleball (a local makerspace) after testing and showed off the
> XOs at their open day. One person suggested physics should have controllable
> gravity. This is in a similar vein to suggestions for specifying different
> density of objects to explore small and heavy compared with big and light.

I don't think Physics has active developers, but you could file this
as an enhancement ticket all the same - preferably with some
reasoning/use cases for the adjustable gravity.

Many thanks for the detailed feedback. Hope to keep you engaged on our
upcoming builds!

Daniel