[olpc-nz] power logging

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sat Jan 15 22:54:18 EST 2011

On 01/15/2011 09:17 PM, Tom Parker wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 20:16 -0500, Richard A. Smith wrote:
>
>>> I did follow your instructions for new-pwrlog thing, but my comment
>>> didn't seem to show up in the file.
>>
>> The powerd version in your build has a bug that causes the log comments
>> to not get displayed.  Although not absolutely required upgrading would
>> be nice as there are some other logging bugs that were fixed too.
>
> hmm.. we generally test unmodified full build images, so getting a fixed
> version is most easily done by getting it into the releases we test.

I was having that same sort of thought during breakfast.  I assume that
your au860 is derived from os860?  os860 is listed to contain powerd-32
and the header output from powerd-32 has 2 new header fields. KERNAPI
and POWERDVER.  I don't see those in your headers.  Can you verify that
your build has powerd-32?

> then used to reflash the laptops, several in parallel. When a laptop is
> finished, it is booted and given to whoever is there. Adding a "give it
> to me and I will do this thing to it" step is problematic and inevitably
> will be skipped sometimes.

Are they reflashed they on external power?  How long does a test
sequence usually last?

  I can reasonably easily go through the
> laptops and recover the logs after I get home. A usb that boots, grabs
> the logs and displays "logs recovered, please turn off" would be even
> better, then we could do the log recovery trivially at testing.

I can do that from the firmware as long as the laptop is shutdown
cleanly.  Otherwise, I'd have to do something with James's tiny linux
build.  You have an a wireless net up for testing right?  Do you have a
school server?

I'm told by some other smaller sites that if I can come up with a good
automated way of getting the logs off of the machines via network then I
can have logs from an actual site.

Any ideas here would be appreciated.

> Most of the time, you can identify "good" logs because the laptop was
> re-imaged at the start of the session, so they are all relevant. If we
> reuse an image, I can pick out the logs from the session to send to you.
> A script which updates all the log files in a directory with a comment
> would be helpful but I'm sure I could write one if I knew where it went.

The header of each logfile contains a series of key value pairs
separated by ':'  Everything from the start of the files to the text
'<StartData>' is the header.  The comment key in the header is 'COMMENT:'

So if you were to sed all the files in a dir and

s/COMMENT:/COMMENT: comment here

Then they would have your comment.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>