[olpc-nz] power logging

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Jan 15 21:17:57 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 20:16 -0500, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> > I did follow your instructions for new-pwrlog thing, but my comment
> > didn't seem to show up in the file.
>
> The powerd version in your build has a bug that causes the log comments
> to not get displayed.  Although not absolutely required upgrading would
>be nice as there are some other logging bugs that were fixed too.

hmm.. we generally test unmodified full build images, so getting a fixed
version is most easily done by getting it into the releases we test.

> If post-processing works better for you then lets figure out a good way
> to add that into your testing.  Perhaps Paul and I can give you some
> scripts that make things easier.  Please describe your testing
> environment workflow to us and why the post-processing is easier than a
> new-pwrlog.

Generally testing starts with the laptops being re-imaged. Someone
prepares some USBs with the image downloaded the night before, these are
then used to reflash the laptops, several in parallel. When a laptop is
finished, it is booted and given to whoever is there. Adding a "give it
to me and I will do this thing to it" step is problematic and inevitably
will be skipped sometimes. I can reasonably easily go through the
laptops and recover the logs after I get home. A usb that boots, grabs
the logs and displays "logs recovered, please turn off" would be even
better, then we could do the log recovery trivially at testing.

Most of the time, you can identify "good" logs because the laptop was
re-imaged at the start of the session, so they are all relevant. If we
reuse an image, I can pick out the logs from the session to send to you.
A script which updates all the log files in a directory with a comment
would be helpful but I'm sure I could write one if I knew where it went.